Thursday, December 1, 2011

Is There a "Free" Photoshop?

I often get asked by my design students if there is a "free" version of Photoshop.  Yes there is, but only for 30 days!  I'm sure this is not the answer they were looking for.  The good news is there are plenty of image editing apps out there for free!  My personal favorite is Aviary Image Editor.

Aviary is the closest I've found to Photoshop.  It doesn't have as many bells and whistles, but it does the trick for basic image editing and creation.  I do have to admit some of Aviary's features function differently than Photoshop, which does take a little getting used to.  You can find some great tutorials on Aviary's YouTube Channel.

I am a big fan of the Aviary Suite.  For Adobe Illustrator users, Aviary Vector Editor a great free alternative.  It contains several key features from Illustrator, including the pen and pencil tools, text, gradients, and shapes.  In addition to their visual applications, Aviary also has an audio editor and music creator.  You can find the entire Aviary Suite in the Chrome Web Store!

2 comments:

  1. This sound interesting. How do you get Aviary?
    Also, do you know how much photoshop cost?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can download Aviary from the Chrome Web Store! Photoshop is pretty expensive...several hundred dollars.

    ReplyDelete